The Westhampton Fire Department is dedicated to providing public safety services to our citizens that result in improved quality of life and peace of mind. As a team, we will strive to minimize losses and suffering through emergency service delivery, public education, public information, and community service activities. We will provide our service and treat those we service and each other in a manner that is honest, fair, and unbiased; honor our heritage with integrity; strive to support the individual development, personal satisfaction, and pride of all members; and endeavor to uphold the unique camaraderie and trust that is the Fire Service.
Open Burning Permits & Restrictions
- Burning is permitted between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. from January 15 to May 1
- Westhampton only allows burning on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Permit requests must be submitted between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. the morning you wish to burn.
- Must be on your own property as close as possible to the source of material to be burned, no less than 75 feet away from all dwellings and away from utility lines.
- Have fire suppression tools handy; keep a fire extinguisher or charged garden hose, and a shovel and a rake close by.
- An adult constantly monitors the fire. Leaving burning unattended is a reason to revoke burning permits.
- Use paper and kindling to start a fire and progressively larger pieces of wood. Parts of a leftover Christmas tree may also be used.
- Never use gasoline, kerosene or any other flammable liquid to start a fire. The risk of personal injury in these cases is too high.
- Burn one small pile at a time and slowly add to it. This will help keep the fire from getting out of control.
- Burn the fire down to the coals, drown them with water, spread them out, and then drown them again.
Go to "Burning Permit Form" on menu item at top left to apply for a permit. Form available only on Saturdays and Sundays.
Thank you for a safe season